Minutes HPC meeting 6 March 2024

Minutes Uploaded on March 11, 2024


Minutes (unapproved) of a Parish Council Meeting

Date: Thursday 6 March 2024

Time: 7.30pm

Venue: OSCA, Henham

Present: Chair N. Baker, Cllrs S. Lee, J. Leech, G. LeCount, Z. Rutterford, C. Walker, Clerk M. Dacey

Declaration of interests: The Chair reminded Councillors of their duty to declare any relevant personal or pecuniary interests.

  1. Apologies for Absence: County Cllr R. Gooding, District Cllrs P. Lees and B. Donald, Cllrs M. Fisher, P. Franklin, PCSO
  2. Approval of the Minutes of the Last Meeting

The minutes of the 1 February 2024 meeting was approved and signed by the Chair.

  1. Matters Arising –
  2. Reports and Recommendations
  • Greens and Village Estate – Cllr. Baker:
  • Greens damage – (1) Erosion – Following a discussion, it was previously agreed a review of the damage will be conducted in the spring by the Chair and Cllr Leech, including review of flooding on greens by Heathfield. (2) Driveways across greens & Construction damage to Greens by Hollybank – It was previously agreed the Chair and Cllr Leech will assess the damage. This will be carried out when the greens have dried out. (3) Construction damage to Greens by York Cottage – It is noted that there is damage to greens on the driveway. The Parish Council will monitor whilst works are still ongoing.
  • Greens Bylaws – Nothing to report.
  • Coronation commemoration – A generous resident who is very skilled at ironmongery has kindly offered to design and make a sculpture in the shape of a globe with dimensions 1200mm by 1200mm. Sculpture is at the finishing stages, image and details of suggested mounting have been circulated to Cllrs prior to the meeting. Cllrs discussed potential location and positioning of structure to ensure safety (ie prevent climbing) and mowing accessibility. Chair to liaise with Cllr Fisher and resident.
  • Tree Inspection – Report is now received and circulated to Cllrs prior to the meeting. Quote for recommended works awaited.
  • Church works – Nothing to report.
  • Resurfacing The Row – The Row path falls within the ownership of the Henham Parish Council as it is part of the greens. Cllr Leech has reviewed the damage and provided a quote of £640 plus VAT to undertake the works, agreed nem con.
  • The Bury – Nothing to report.

Portrait of King – The government is issuing free portraits of the King. Chair has consulted with OSCA committee who have agreed that HPC can apply for a free portrait, the parish council will pay for framing with installation in OSCA, exact location to be agreed. Portrait has now been ordered by the Chair.

Village ponds/Woodland – (a) It was previously agreed that Cllr Franklin would liaise with ELNR regarding the woodland, Cllr Walker would liaise with the National Trust and Cllr Rutterford would liaise with our ecologist regarding suggestions for other entities which may like to take responsibility for the woodland. Cllr Walker has been liaising with the NT team at Hatfield Forest and has organised a meeting on 21/3/24.

Community Garden – A local company has approached the Parish Council with regard to establishing a community garden for the benefit of local residents. A meeting date is awaited.

Village Hall – (1) General – Nothing to report. (2) Solicitors – Have been instructed to review the ownership and responsibility for the village hall as the existing documentation is 100 years old and needs updating. Our solicitors have been chasing the Charity Commission for an update on the Village Hall, they have been informed that they have been allocated a case worker and should hopefully speak to someone imminently. (3) HPC Community Support Fund – Nothing to report.

PCSO – The PSCO is visiting the village shop on the following dates, residents are encouraged to use this opportunity to raise any concerns they may have:  20th March – 1045-1200, 5th April – 1045-1200, 24th April – 1045-1200. Chair has been liaising with the police in charge regarding the PCSO contract renewal. It is noted that Elsenham Parish Council is re-joining the scheme, no financial impact on the Parish Council’s financial contribution.

Speedwatch – Nothing to report other than the usual request for more volunteers.

Management of Pledgdon Green (a) Ownership of Common Land – Legal advice re ownership/responsibilities of the common land has established that the Parish Council is not responsible for the common land. Barrister’s Legal Opinion has now been circulated to all Cllrs which confirms the position that the Parish Council is not responsible for the common land. Cllr Rutterford will liaise with the local farmer who might be able to obtain a grant for its upkeep. (b) Conservation Area Status – Broxted Parish Council is exploring whether the Brick End Road area could become a Conservation Area and have asked whether Henham Parish Council would be interested in splitting the costs (£1170 plus VAT) for Place Services to look into extending the proposed conservation area to include to the Pledgdon Green area.  It was agreed nem con for the Parish Council to contribute towards half of the cost.

Website – The new website is up and running . Annual hosting, support and maintenance fees for the coming year have been paid by the clerk – £500 plus VAT.

Village Broadband – Openreach and Gigaclear both have plans to bring Ultrafast Broadband to Village. The Parish Council has a responsibility to ensure residents are fully informed of both endeavours and have the information to make an informed decision that suits them: (1) Openreach Openreach surveys are nearly complete and they are already working on building the network and hoping to roll out in the early summer. (2) Gigaclear – Cllr Lee attended an open event at OSCA on 5/3/24 and Gigaclear advised that they are about 4 weeks behind schedule, roll out to commence in April.

D Day June 2024 celebrations – Nothing to report.

Stansted/Elsenham Surgery merger – All patients have previously received a direct communication from the surgery about the proposed merger due to take place on 1/4/24, this merger date has been postponed.

Consultation on draft recommendations for division boundaries in Essex – Nothing to report.

Great British Spring Clean 15 – 31 March 2024 – The annual village litter pick event is being organised by resident who will advise of the date, so residents can take part.

           (ii) Finance



From Whom Description Amount
SOV 100 Dec draw £392.00
SOV 100 Jan draw £392.00
Daniel Robinson & sons Internment fees £1050.00
M Dacey HMRC refund £193.00


 To Whom

(Invoice no.)

Description Amount VAT Total
M Dacey January Salary £462.30 £0.0 £462.30
M Dacey Paper refund £18.41 £3.68 £22.09
M Dacey Ink refund £53.98 £10.80 £64.78
Paul Mower Village gardening Aug 23 to Feb 24 £440.00 £0.0 £440.00
JRB Enterprise Ltd (26458) Dog poo bags £66.64 £13.33 £79.97
Netwise Training Ltd (3317) Annual website and domain hosting, support and maintenance fee £500.00 £100.00 £600.00
Thinktrees Ltd Tree survey and report £1065.00 £0.0 £1065.00
Bit Solutions Ltd (29288) IT services for cllrs gov uk email £55.00 £11.00 £66.00
JRB Enterprise Ltd (26571) Dog poo bags £66.64 £13.33 £79.97

 Treasury Management Investment Policy and Strategy 2023/24 – Cllr Fisher- Nothing to report.

  Planning and Developments –

  • UTT/24/0367/HHF & UTT/24/0368/LB – Proposed replacement windows to rear and conversion of window to French doors, Pledgdon Green Farm Brick End Road.
  • UTT/24/0404/HHF & UTT/24/0405/LB – proposed Application to replace some existing windows. Internal secondary glazing to other windows, Yew Tree Cottage Chickney Road
  • UTT/24/0406/HHF – Proposed removal of garden shed and installation of a new garden shed and combined greenhouse potting shed, Yew Tree Cottage Chickney Road
  • UTT/24/0304/HHF & UTT/24/0305/LB – Alteration to previously approved UTT/22/1975/HHF and UTT/22/1976/LB- side and rear Single Storey Extension, fenstration alteration to rear of property, top floor dormer window and new garage and landscape works, Bacons Farm Crow Street

Breaches:  Nothing to report.

Appeals:  APP/C1570/D/23/3333926 – UTT/23/1319/HHF – The Fuschias – Section 73A Retrospective application for the reduction inground level at the rear of the site and installation of

sleeper retaining walls to rear and side boundaries. Proposed single storey outbuilding, part with pitched roof part with flat roof, to be used as a domestic garage, gym and home office ancillary to the main dwelling house (UTT/23/1319/HHF) –  Appeal Dismissed

APP/C1570/D/23/3333936 – UTT/23/0249/HHF – The Fuchsias – Single storey rear extension (previously approved) with part first floor rear extension over. Ground floor has an

extant permission (UTT/23/0249/HHF) – Appeal Allowed.

Developments: Mill Road Development (Bellway): Update by Cllr Walker: The Developer has confirmed that the project website has been uploaded ( This provides basic information about the proposals and has facilities for residents to register for updates and ask questions. The consultation responses will be assimilated, and a report written summarising the outcomes. This will be circulated to stakeholders and those who have registered on the website. Concerns have been raised by Cllr Walker to Bellway regarding the recent flooding caused by the field works, and roadway being partially obscured by the van and lorry parked on the road. Bellway is aware and following an investigation have concluded that it is a result of a result of historic blocked drains and gulleys in the area. They will be organising the following: Clean the ditch parallel with boundary and extend to the head wall; Clear out and tidy the ditch/culvert and clean head wall outlets to the full length of their land/Mill road; Remove silt build up at kerb to allow road run off to go into culvert/head wall. The Chair and Cllr Walker will be meeting with the Developers Bellway Homes and their agents on 14 March.

BloorUTT/23/2063/DFO – proposed Details following outline approval of reserved matters (comprising landscaping, layout, scale and appearance) pursuant to outline approval S62A/2022/0012 (UTT/22/2760/PINS) for the development of 200 residential dwellings along with landscaping, internal roads, public open space and associated infrastructure works, Land East Of Station Road. Sub planning committee will raise a concern with UDC planning regarding proposed run off to OMR.

Proposed Development at Saffron House paddock – The Developer has written to the clerk requesting a meeting with the parish council to discuss a proposed development of 3 houses in the paddock behind Saffron House, High Street. The Chair and Cllr Lee met with the developer on 27/2/24. Proposed draft plans now amended to avoid construction near the badger set. Solicitors have been instructed to obtain barrister legal opinion estimated legal fee £1600 plus VAT.

Proposed Solar FarmElsenham Quarry owners are proposing a solar farm on part of their land. See website for full details of the proposed development. The proposed site falls within the parish of Henham, not Elsenham. There is an drop-in session on Thursday 7th March at Elsenham Memorial Hall between 3.45pm and 6.45pm organised by the Valencia. Cllrs Walker and LeCount to attend and report back to the Parish Council.

 Decisions: none

  • Highways Update

OMR-OML – Nothing to report other than OMR to be closed 20/3/24 for 3 days for EH to carry out drainage investigations and repairs. Cllr LeCount to liaise with local residents re ongoing excessive HGV use of OMR and Toot Toot bridge.

Mill Road/School Road yellow lines – Nothing to report.

School parking – The Chair, County Cllr Gooding attended a meeting with a parent and Headmaster of the school on 8/2/24 to discuss dangerous parking. It was agreed that the Headmaster would send out to parents/carers a warning note that police enforcement would take place soon with penalties enforced. PCSO would arrange police enforcement visits. County Cllr Gooding will commence steps to organise School Lane as a ‘School Street’ on arrival and departure times. This means the Street will be closed to vehicles save residents at beginning of day and end of the school day. He will also liaise with the relevant ECC staff member responsible for the ‘walking bus’ initiative to explore possibility of making OSCA a drop off point where children are then walked to the school.

Toot Toot bridge – Nothing to report.

Flooding – Nothing further to report.

Potholes – Serious concerns have been raised by Cllr Leech to County Cllr Gooding regarding urgent repairs required to the 1m deep pothole on Thaxted road by Plegdgon Barns. Cllr Rutterford has also contacted Essex County Cllr responsible for Highways regarding the urgent repairs required to Thaxted Road, which is now closed.

Informal consultation re Footpath 25 – It is proposed by ECC to divert a section of Footpath 25 Henham from within the grounds of Starr Garage to the route along Hall Close. Chair has been liaising with the owner of the property and ECC, as the footpath has always been along Hall Close and the owner wishes to have this formalised and existing records corrected. The Chair has responded on behalf of the Parish Council confirming its agreement with this proposal. No formal order has been made as yet.

Residents are encouraged to also report any matters to Essex Highways direct via the Essex Highways web site (details also on the Henham Website), as the more people who complain regarding Highways matters the more likely something will get done.

 Residents are encouraged to report unsafe or dangerous parking in our village to: Stansted Airport Limited operates a Freephone number for reporting suspected on-street airport related car parking. The Freephone number is: 0800 7312385

  1. Correspondence

Sent/Received: email from resident re Starr Road flooding and pot holes, various correspondence with Bellway re flooding on site, EH re footpath 25, various website enquiries.

Planning Applications  – see 4(iii) above

  • Clerk – approximately 250 emails in February 2024.

 6 Waste and Minerals Development Issues – Local Plan Review – 2025 to 2040 – The proposal is that the quarry is extended right down to the B1051, Pledgdon Green lane, Pledgdon Green.  The consultation is from 6th February to 19th March 2024. Response now completed and advice for residents posted on FB and the website. Stansted, Elsenham and Broxted Parish Councils are also responding. The Parish Council thanks the resident at Pledgdon Green for all his valuable input together with our ecologist, the Chair and Cllr Rutterford for producing such a comprehensive response.

7 SAW (Stop Stansted Expansion) – It is now intended to convert SAW into a Community Interest Company (‘CIC’) rather than a Discretionary Trust, following legal advice. A CIC is a relatively new concept. It is a social enterprise which exists to benefit the community rather than private shareholders. The activities of CICs are overseen by the CIC Regulator to whom CICs must submit an annual report and accounts, which are published, to ensure transparency. AGM, to be held on 7 March, will include a resolution seeking authorisation to establish the CIC. The resolution makes clear that the CIC will have the same or very similar objectives to the current objectives of Stansted Airport Watch. The agenda also includes the (re-)election of officers and committee for the period to 30 September 2024. This reflects the current expectation that it will take several months to complete the transition from Stansted Airport Watch to Stansted Airport Watch CIC.

8 Governance – The Parish Council Standing Orders and Financial Regulations have been circulated by the Clerk to all Councillors for review in the coming months. No update required.

9 Local Plan – Documents related to the local plan can be found at: Discuss draft Local Plan which has now been published on the UDC website. Chair’s letter regarding the incorrect allocation of 200 Bloor homes to Elsenham Parish has been sent to UDC and was acknowledged by UDC but unfortunately no amendments made to the published draft local plan. Chair submitted comments on the Local Plan on behalf of Henham Parish Council. Nothing further to report.

10 Henham SOV 100 Club draw – No draws conducted.

11Date of Next Meeting

The Annual Parish Council Meeting will be held on Thursday 4th April 2024, 7:30pm at OSCA. Everyone Welcome.

Mareike Dacey, Clerk